Okay. This morning, I read this article from this writer, A. Rahman Basrun. Very interesting. It's about Malay. Sheesh. I'm always interested in Malay stuff. Because. I'm Malay. I love my race, and I always want people of my race to be successful people in the world. And I don't understand why some people claim themselves to be Eurasian or Arab even though their i/c clearly states that they are "Malay". Especially bf's ex gf who claims to be an Arab when she looks very much like a Malay. Or Albriena (Shiela's no 1 enemy) who claims she's Hawaiian or Angmoh. What's wrong with admitting yourself as Malay? Aren't you supposed to be proud to be a Malay?
Anyway, according to this article, in Malay language, Malay is Melayu. And the word "layu" means "weak" in Malay language.
Sounds bad, right?
Then, the plural for Malay is Malays which means "Kancheong" in French. Sheesh.
In Indonesian language, Mlayu stands for people who live in the hills. Sheesh.
Maybe this is the reason why people don't want to claim themselves as Malays.
Anyway. the Malays out there, please stand up. It's time that we do something for our race.
"Melayu" is just a name like how "Indian", "Chinese" are names.
It doesn't mean that we should weaken our race by calling ourselves as Eurasions or Arabs.
Many times, I've envisioned Malays to be well-known to the world like how Indians and Chinese are very popular.
Study well. It's sometimes heartache when many of my Chinese friends always label Malays as those who don't like to study but "soccer soccer soccer only sia." And it's heartache to see so many Malay students studying in ITE instead of the polytechnics or junior college. Also, it is heartache to see that the minah and mat-rep population is increasing rapidly, most of the time dirtying the Malay name by gangster-ish activities or smoking at an early age.
Last few weeks I went to my cousin's wedding. Her lil' bro is about 24.
They used a Chinese photographer. To my Aunt Ros, this is very strange. Normally in Malay weddings, we use Malay photographers.
Aunt Ros asked the lil' bro: "How come you use a Chinese photographer? Very strange lah."
Lil' bro said: "Oh, Malay photographers are no good."
The best part is that his dad was a photographer. I find this very devastating. Even Malays are degrading their own race!
C'mon Malays! Let's work harder and succeed! Prove to the people in the world that we, Malays,are just as strong and successful. We can do this.
And stop claiming yourself to be Arab or Eurasion or Angmoh or Hawaiian when your i/c clearly states that you are Malay 'coz I'll puke.

I SUPPORT YOU ON THIS. :D
ReplyDelete